Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Bottom in Oil

Several months ago I mentioned that I thought a major bottom in commodities was about six months away. Well, I think it's partly here now, and I am trading it. This morning I bought crude oil.
First off, I think it's cheap. I have a ten-year price model that says its undervalued. Not only is the spot price cheap, but it's cheap all the way out the curve. Additionally, options are cheap as well. So I bought a bunch of long dated slightly out of the money calls. This is a big trade.
Soybeans are also getting into my buying zone, although not as clear at this point.
One more trade: I covered my short long dated SPY calls. I really don't know where the stock market is going short-term, but I sense there is the possibility of a fierce rally here. So I don't want the gamma to blow up on me. I still think we will not get back to the old highs for a long time, but discretion is the better part of valor.

3 comments:

  1. If you cannot speculate on crude oil with futures and don't trust ETF's what is a way to speculate on oil in the stock market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aanalysis the market is kind of good deed to get good footprintin the market. it also gives a beneficial confidence as we get good proper knowledge before jump into the forex market. you can learn various technical indicators to learn good hold in market.

    if you dont want to get the hectic of getting knowledge because its so long and continous process. you can choose best forex trading tips by expert of adviosry like Trifid Research Stock Advisory company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crude oil rose after a report of falling crude inventories and the looming sanctions against Iran fueled expectations of a tightening market, updates by Money Maker Research & Investment Advisor Pvt Ltd.

    mcx tips

    commodity tips

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, although I can't promise to answer every question.