Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Oil Econometrics

Whenever I make a large trade I always develop a statistical model for it. I find that gives me a framework to trade around. Now, models are not always statistically good, and there may be reasons I don't trust them anyway. But they are a first step. Here's how I went about the oil model.

My simplist framework is this. First I deflate the price. then I form a moving average of the deflated price. I then estimate a model using the price ten years ago and time as independent variables. So it looks like this:

log(defPrice) = a + b * log(MovAvg(defPrice[-10]) + c * time

The -10 term is for mean reversion. Time is there because most commodities have secular trends in price. For most the trend is downward; commodities are getting cheaper relative to services etc. For a few the trend is upward, probably because of increasing difficulty of extraction.

Oil is one that has had an increasing trend. In the model, I manually stopped the trend five years ago. This is due to a new technology, fracking, that has somewhat changed the game.

Using monthly data, the oil model is surprisingly accurate. It's R-squared is about 85%. All the other diagnostics (about 20 of them) are also good. For example, here's a plot of the residuals versus pure normality:

This is fairly good. The residuals are pretty much normally distributed, although they miss on the upper tail. That doesn't bother me. There's a lot of evidence that liquid asset prices have fat tails, and in commodities the "fat" is usually on the upside.

Forecast for spot Brent...
Assuming inflation at 2% and the $US unchanged,
the price will be 64% higher in ten years.

Now that may not seem like a big move. I have found however, that a commodity rarely takes the full ten years to get to equilibrium. More like two or three.

For shorter term (1 - 3 years) forecasts, you need to input data on supply/demand/capacity. That's for another post.

1 comment:

  1. Crude showed sideways to upbeat movement and the found the foremost resistance level of 4055. Now if the price sustains on an inferior level than the 3950 will act as chief support level. On further side 4100 will be a main resistance level above which it may test 4200. Free Commodity Tips

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, although I can't promise to answer every question.