Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Egg Consumption

Eggs are one of my favorite commodities. Why?
- There is no futures market, and therefore little research is done.
- There's a pure way to trade it, Cal-Maine Foods Inc.
- It exhibits strong mean reversion, important  for a value guy like me.

However, even though eggs should be the essence of a stable commodity, something weird has been going on. US consumption has been increasing fairly fast. You wouldn't think this would happen. After all, humans have been eating eggs since the stone age. I would think that people's egg patterns would be pretty stable. But no. Here's a graph of US per capita egg consumption.

So consumption has really taken off in the last five years. In my experience, when long time patterns get disrupted, big things happen in the associated markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, although I can't promise to answer every question.